What should I do if my loved one with bipolar disorder is suicidal?

If a family member or friend is diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, it is important to learn the warning signs of depression and suicide, and listen and act on any suicide threats a friend or family member makes. If you notice a friend wrapping up his/her "loose ends", talking about suicide and/or methods to complete it, or appearing to be despondent, seek help for them immediately. Contact their healthcare professional, or if necessary, seek treatment from a hospital emergency room.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder Shortens Lives
Bipolar Disorder Shortens Lives
There’s no question that bipolar disorder takes a serious toll on a person’s life. It can damage relationships, affect work and school performance, ev...
Does bipolar disorder have an effect on pregnancies?
Since bipolar disorder usually begins during young adulthood and continues for the rest of a person'...
What is the rate of incidence for bipolar disorder?
Less than 4 percent of people in the United States experiences a kind of bipolar disorder. Men and w...
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
What Is Bipolar Disorder?