What are psychotic delusions in bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
Psychotic delusions in bipolar disorder are far-fetched, highly unrealistic, even bizarre beliefs—for example, the belief that one has been chosen as a special messenger of God to save the world, or the belief that one has been cursed by Satan. One version of delusions is referred to as somatic delusions (seen more often in severe depression) where the mistaken belief involves the body or one's health, such as believing that one's internal organs are rotting. With delusions, such a belief is unshakable, and the person completely loses the ability to recognize that their thinking is irrational. When delusions are present, it is near to impossible to reason with the person; their capacity for critical thinking is generally quite impaired.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

How to Support Someone With Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder is often a lifelong struggle, and supporting someone who has it isn’t easy. The person who is ill with bipolar disorder is dealing wi...
Can I have a healthy relationship with a partner who has bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Bipolar disorder is very predictable. If you are currently in the middle of a stressful situatio...
How long does bipolar disorder last?
There’s no cure for bipolar disorder at this point in time. So once you get a diagnosis, you’ve got ...
How Can I Minimize the Side Effects of Bipolar Medications?