What is bipolar NOS?

NOS is a regulatory phrase used to ensure that doctors are treating things and billing for things “by the book.” NOS means Not Otherwise Specified. Huh? Let’s start at the beginning.

Bipolar disorder is a treatable mental illness that causes extreme mood swings. There are four types in official lingo: I, II, NOS (Not Otherwise Specified), and cyclothymia. The NOS type refers to symptoms that do not meet the criteria for bipolar I or II. The symptoms are intense and represent an obvious change from your normal mood and behavior, but they may not last long enough or you may not have enough of them to qualify as bipolar I or II.

Talk to your doctor about any symptoms you are having that represent a change in mood or behavior.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Why It’s So Difficult to Diagnose Bipolar Disorder
Highs and lows, peaks and valleys, good times and bad -- they're a normal part of life, affecting everything from your mood to the decisions you make....
What should I know to care for someone with bipolar disorder?
To care for someone with bipolar disorder, encourage them to take their medications as prescribed an...
How common is bipolar disorder NOS?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Bipolar Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, or NOS, is basically a catch-all term for people who seem ...
Scott Stapp Receives a Special Thank-You