Q

Bipolar Disorder

What is bipolar I disorder?

• A , Internal Medicine, answered

Bipolar disorder is a treatable mental illness that causes extreme mood swings. There are four types in official lingo: I, II, not otherwise specified, and cyclothymia. Bipolar I disorder is diagnosed when you experience extreme and severe mood swings, and exhibit behavior that is completely different from behavior you would typically have. One moment you might be on Cloud 9, giddy, or in a state of euphoria. And then all of a sudden, without anything triggering it, you can feel incredibly sad, hopeless, or even suicidal. The manic and depressive episodes last for at least a week with symptoms so severe and debilitating, you need to be hospitalized.

Some people think of bipolar I disorder like riding a slow-motion roller coaster. You may spend weeks feeling like you are on top of the world, before plunging into a deep, dark depression. And imagine this goes on and on.

2 people found this helpful.
  • Yes, bipolar I disorder is serious. Manias can result in hospitalization, psychosis and substantial impairment in function. Depressions can also cause serious suffering and impairment. People with bipolar I disorder almost always require lifelong medication treatment.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Family Medicine, answered
    Bipolar I disorder is a serious form of bipolar disorder. The other types are bipolar II disorder, bipolar disorder not otherwise specified, and cyclothymic disorder, or cyclothymia. Some people with bipolar I experience mania or mixed mania and depression (mania is a feeling of intense joy or agitation along with unrealistic expectations). It may be so severe that it requires hospital-based treatment. Most also have bouts of depression lasting at least two weeks.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    Bipolar I disorder is a serious form of bipolar disorder. The other types are bipolar II disorder, bipolar disorder not otherwise specified, and cyclothymic disorder, or cyclothymia. Some people with bipolar I experience mania or mixed mania and depression that lasts seven days (mania is a feeling of intense joy or agitation along with unrealistic expectations). Others have such severe mania that they must stay in a hospital for treatment. Most also have bouts of depression lasting at least two weeks.
  • Bipolar I disorder is a type of bipolar disorder in which people have episodes of mania, often alternating with depression. The extreme mania lasts at least a week and the depression lasts at least two weeks. The episodes, especially those of mania, are extremely severe and dangerous. People with this type of bipolar disorder are unable to live their daily lives normally at times and may need to be hospitalized during manic episodes.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What type of mania do people with bipolar I disorder have?