What is the relationship between bipolar disorder and insomnia?

Dr. Michael Berk, PhD
Psychiatrist (Therapist)

In hypomania (and in mania) the principle difference is that the person who is experiencing hypomania experiences a decreased need for sleep. The person remains energized and not fatigued despite needing considerably less sleep than is usual for them. In insomnia, the person wishes to sleep and would experience fatigue or daytime impairment because of lack of sleep, but struggles to sleep.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder Shortens Lives
Bipolar Disorder Shortens Lives
There’s no question that bipolar disorder takes a serious toll on a person’s life. It can damage relationships, affect work and school performance, ev...
How Can I Minimize the Side Effects of Bipolar Medications?
What Causes Bipolar Disorder?
What Causes Bipolar Disorder?
Understanding Bipolar Disorder
Understanding Bipolar Disorder