My friend is bipolar should I ask her to exercise with me?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
By all means encourage your friend to exercise with you. There have been several studies showing that getting regular physical activity helps people with bipolar disease to control their symptoms. People who have bipolar disorder are also more likely to develop certain illnesses, such as heart disease and diabetes. Exercise will help control those problems, too. Beware that your friend may have down periods where she may not feel like she has the energy to get out and break a sweat. Be understanding, and keep the invitation open.

You should definitely ask your friend who is bipolar to workout with you. From what is known, exercise has positive effects for someone who is bipolar particularly on the depressive side. The endorphins during exercise could have a calming effect on the manic side of a bipolar episode. Exercise has been proven to reduce depression even clinical depression. Exercise improves mood and is most effective when performed regularly. People who are mild to moderately depressed experience the greatest reduction of symptoms with exercise. Regular exercise has been found to be comparable in effectiveness to medication and therapy for mild to moderate depression and exercise is often used in conjunction with these treatments.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

What Causes Bipolar Disorder?
What Causes Bipolar Disorder?
Is Emotion Dysregulation and Bipolar Disorder the Same Thing?
Is the Stigma Associated with a Bipolar Diagnosis Improving?
What Is the Definition of Bipolar Disorder?