What is the mania that occurs in bipolar disorder?

Manic and depressive episodes can occur at one time in what is called a mixed episode. During this, a person experiences symptoms of both extremes during the same episode. For example, someone might cry during a feeling of extreme happiness. This cycle of feelings must go on nearly every day for a week to be classified as a mixed episode.

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Mania is one of the common symptoms of bipolar disorder. Mania describes the "high" periods, when a person may exhibit emotions and behaviors such as: excitability, extreme self-confidence and optimism, agitation or irritability, grandiose thoughts, such as believing you are rich, famous, or powerful, engaging in risky activities, and delusions and hallucinations. There are different types of bipolar disorder. Some feature more intense manic episodes than others.
Mania is a period of high mood or extremely irritable mood together with a markedly reduced need for sleep and some of the following: increased sex drive, unrealistic grandiose ideas about one's abilities, rapid speech, or increased impulsivity.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

My Story: Dailyn and Bipolar Disorder
My Story: Dailyn and Bipolar Disorder
Dailyn was hospitalized at age 19 before receiving a diagnosis of bipolar 1. Here, she shares her story, describing her symptoms, the challenges she's...
Can I prevent bipolar disorder?
Bipolar disorder cannot be initially prevented. However, early intervention and consistent treatment...
Can alcohol affect bipolar disorder?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Alcohol is a mood altering substance, and unfortunately, when you drink alcohol, you don't have any ...
What Is the Role of Genetics and Environment with Bipolar Disorder?