How can I prevent another bipolar episode?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
There is no sure way to prevent another bipolar episode as the understanding of the illness has not yet gotten to that stage. However, you can take steps to reduce the likelihood of an episode and to decrease the frequency and the severity of the episode. Taking medications as prescribed really make a difference in having a stable mood. Behavioral changes such as regular sleep and exercise routine and a healthy diet with daily doses of sun (or Vitamin D supplements). Psychotherapy helps to monitor moods and focus on dealing with them before the full onset of an episode.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

What Does Life With Bipolar Disorder Feel Like?
When Natasha Tracy of Vancouver, British Columbia, was 20, she was depressed—and terrified. “I had been depressed before, but this time I was suicidal...
Why is mania a negative mood swing?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
The mood swing from depression to elation is not a positive one. For example, a person with bipolar ...
How does bipolar disorder change with age?
Manuj Nangia, MDManuj Nangia, MD
Bipolar disorder can change as a person ages. Manuj Nangia, MD, at Good Samaritan Hospital, explains...
3 Small Steps to Manage Mental Illness
3 Small Steps to Manage Mental Illness