How much sleep do I need if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Most adults need seven to eight hours of sleep per night, but only you know how much you need. If you have bipolar disorder and you wake up feeling rested (and not in a state of mania during which you need little sleep) after seven to eight hours of sleep, then that's how much sleep you need on average. You can use incidence of symptoms to help measure when you're getting too little sleep. However, six hours is a marker for insufficient sleep and thus a good sign that you're not getting enough sleep.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Bipolar Disorder Shortens Lives
Bipolar Disorder Shortens Lives
There’s no question that bipolar disorder takes a serious toll on a person’s life. It can damage relationships, affect work and school performance, ev...
How can I avoid being my bipolar partner's permanent caregiver?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
If you are in a relationship with someone who has bipolar disorder, there will be times when you...
What is the difference between bipolar anxiety and bipolar agitation?
Michael BerkMichael Berk
This is a complex question and the differences are often not clear, and frequently overlap. In anxie...
Maurice Benard’s Battle With Bipolar Disorder