How much sleep do I need if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Most adults need seven to eight hours of sleep per night, but only you know how much you need. If you have bipolar disorder and you wake up feeling rested (and not in a state of mania during which you need little sleep) after seven to eight hours of sleep, then that's how much sleep you need on average. You can use incidence of symptoms to help measure when you're getting too little sleep. However, six hours is a marker for insufficient sleep and thus a good sign that you're not getting enough sleep.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Succeeding with Mental Illness: Slow and Steady
Slow and steady wins the race. Or so we’ve been told since we were children. But does anyone really buy this? Does anyone really think that slow and ...
Does bipolar disorder exist with other illnesses?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Unfortunately, just because you have bipolar disorder doesn't mean you're exempt from other mental h...
How can I reduce my risk of relapse if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Research is underway to reduce the rate of relapse in people with bipolar disorder. A new 12-sessi...
How Do I Know If My Teen Is Bipolar?
How Do I Know If My Teen Is Bipolar?