Q

Bipolar Disorder

What kind of medicine is needed to treat bipolar I disorder?

• A , Family Medicine, answered
    Bipolar I disorder is the most serious type of bipolar disorder because of the elated mood of mania. Your psychiatrist may prescribe lithium or an anticonvulsant to keep your moods stabilized. You may have to try several different mood stabilizers to find the right one. Your doctor may add an antipsychotic, if mania linked to bipolar I disorder extends too high. Working with your doctor, you can get the best treatment to manage your moods and keep your bipolar I disorder in check.
  • Mood stabilizers are the foundation for treatment of bipolar disorder. These medication are designed to not only make the symptoms go away, but to prevent them from returning. These medications are particularly effective in the treatment of mania, but markedly less effective in the treatment of the depressed phase of the illness. However, there are two exceptions, maybe three. Lamotrigine (Lamictal), quetiapine (Seroquel), and lurasidone (Latuda) have been shown to have unequivocal efficacy in the treatment of the depressed phase of the illness. That being said, I will disclose to the readers of the text that I have been directly involved in the development of these medication, and for this reason, I have conflicts of interest regarding these particular medications.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Will mania with bipolar I disorder worsen if untreated?