A Answers (1)
Here are some ways you can help an adult child with bipolar disorder:
- remember to treat your child as the adult he or she is, even your child is acting in an immature manner
- encourage treatment and offer support
- remember that you have limits; do not become abused either emotionally or financially by a child suffering from a manic or hypomanic episode.
- be cautious when lending money as bipolar individuals do not exhibit reasonable thinking skills and can spend recklessly
- remind loved ones that it can take time to find the right talk therapy or medication and that they can't give up
Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.