How can I help my adult child with bipolar disorder?

Here are some ways you can help an adult child with bipolar disorder:
  • remember to treat your child as the adult he or she is, even your child is acting in an immature manner
  • encourage treatment and offer support
  • remember that you have limits; do not become abused either emotionally or financially by a child suffering from a manic or hypomanic episode.
  • be cautious when lending money as bipolar individuals do not exhibit reasonable thinking skills and can spend recklessly
  • remind loved ones that it can take time to find the right talk therapy or medication and that they can't give up

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Is Emotion Dysregulation and Bipolar Disorder the Same Thing?
How Is Major Depression Different from Bipolar Disorder?
How Can I Minimize the Side Effects of Bipolar Medications?
If I've Had Depression in the Past, Does that Raise My Risk of Postpartum Depression?