How common is it for people with bipolar disorder to relapse?

Medication and therapy can help control the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder. However, even with these treatments, many people with the disorder relapse; as many as 40 percent in the first year, and almost 75 percent over five years. Relapse often occurs when a person has stopped taking medication or the medication no longer works, or the person has started to abuse alcohol or drugs.
The lifetime prevalence of the full spectrum of bipolar disorder about ~4%, including ~1% Bipolar disorder type I, ~1% Bipolar disorder type II, and ~2% sub-threshold bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Treating Bipolar Disorders
Treating Bipolar Disorders
Are you or a loved one living with bipolar disorder? If so, you know that the manic-depressive illness – which can cause major shifts in mood, energy,...
Does bipolar disorder have an effect on pregnancies?
Since bipolar disorder usually begins during young adulthood and continues for the rest of a person'...
Can my friend’s bipolar kill our relationship?
Anytime you’re dealing with someone who has bipolar disorder, or any mental health disorder for that...
How Film Director Paul Dalio Manages His Bipolar Symptoms