How does bipolar disorder change with age?

Manuj Nangia, MD
Psychiatry
Bipolar disorder can change as a person ages. Manuj Nangia, MD, at Good Samaritan Hospital, explains in this video.
It appears that there is a developmental trajectory of the symptoms of bipolar disorder from childhood to adulthood. In early childhood, it is more common to have mixed states and ultra-rapidly cycling symptoms. As children with bipolar disorder become a little older, the pattern is likely to shift to a rapid cycling pattern. As age increases toward late childhood and early adolescence, there is likely to be some separation of the mixed states toward the more classic manic and depressive episodic pattern of hypomanic or manic episodes alternating with normal mood and depressive episodes, the pattern which continues to be more common in adulthood.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Treating Bipolar Disorders
Treating Bipolar Disorders
Are you or a loved one living with bipolar disorder? If so, you know that the manic-depressive illness – which can cause major shifts in mood, energy,...
What foods and beverages can trigger a bipolar episode?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Sugar, caffeine (found in chocolate, coffee, and some teas, such as green and black teas), alcoh...
How should I deal with my bipolar partner's unpreventable triggers?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
There are some triggers of bipolar disorder that you can't predict or prevent. It will help if you t...
What Doctors Consider in a Bipolar Disorder Diagnosis