Has bipolar disorder been under-recognized and under treated?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
More mental health experts now believe that bipolar disorder is actually a spectrum disorder. There are many types of mood swings on the bipolar spectrum, from the lows of major depressive disorder to mild depression referred to as dysthymia, and the highs of mania or the milder versions called hypomania. Because bipolar disorder is now considered a spectrum disorder, it is thought that many people with this illness are not getting the appropriate treatment.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

What Are the Treatments Available for Bipolar Disorder?
Do We Know the Causes of Bipolar Disorder?
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
What Is Bipolar Disorder?
If I've Had Depression in the Past, Does that Raise My Risk of Postpartum Depression?