Can my friend’s bipolar kill our relationship?

Anytime you’re dealing with someone who has bipolar disorder, or any mental health disorder for that matter, it can put a strain on your relationship. It is stressful, tiring, and daunting to deal with dramatic mood swings and inconsistent and abnormal behavior. If you’re taking care of your friend, you’re even more closely tied to the ups and downs, and that can be very stressful. Don’t forget to take care of yourself while taking care of your friend.
Ellen Frudakis
Health Education
Bipolar Disorder can put an overwhelming amount of pressure on your friendship, but it doesn't have to end it. Ask how you can help, be honest if you are struggling, communicate if you need time to yourself to sort through your feelings. The worst thing for me with friends was when they just disappeared without telling me why. I think they wanted to keep from hurting me, perhaps they thought that telling me directly they couldn't be my friend would be upsetting, but the not knowing was much worse for me. 

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

What You Need to Know About Bipolar Symptoms
Bipolar disorder, often called manic depression, is a mental disorder marked by extreme shifts in mood and energy levels. These mood changes are somet...
Can bipolar disorder mood swings be prevented?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
While there is no cure for bipolar disorder, there are ways to reduce your risk for bipolar episodes...
What is the relationship between bipolar disorder and insomnia?
Dr. Ruth White, MPHDr. Ruth White, MPH
The irony of the relationship between insomnia and bipolar disorder is that staying up late or going...
Are Treatments Different Among Mood Disorders?