Can bipolar mania be prevented?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Bipolar disorder mania cannot be prevented, but it can be treated using mood-stabilizing medications. Along with taking medications, to control mania it is important to get plenty of sleep and have healthy lifestyle habits. Also, avoid illicit drugs and alcohol to self-medicate your mood disorders. Your psychiatrist can assess your symptoms and prescribe mood-stabilizing medications, the first choice of treatment for bipolar disorder. Sometimes an atypical antipsychotic medication is added to treat symptoms of bipolar disorder. For example, Abilify is an atypical antipsychotic medication that is used for the treatment of a manic or mixed episodes. This drug can be injected for urgent treatment of mania or mixed episodes of bipolar disorder. Seroquel relieves symptoms of severe and sudden mania. Risperdal and Geodon are atypical antipsychotics that may also be used to manage manic or mixed episodes.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?
If I've Had Depression in the Past, Does that Raise My Risk of Postpartum Depression?
Are Treatments Different Among Mood Disorders?
What Is the Difference Between Bipolar 1 and Bipolar 2?