Can I prevent bipolar disorder?

Bipolar disorder cannot be initially prevented. However, early intervention and consistent treatment can help limit the occurrence of bipolar episodes. Medication and therapy can make episodes less severe and less frequent provided it is taken continuously as part of lifetime treatment.

There’s no foolproof way to prevent bipolar disorder, but you can try to prevent or reduce mood swings. Stress and anxiety reduction by exercising, eating a balance diet, getting a good night sleep (6-8 hours a night), and trying things like yoga can be a huge help. So is stopping destructive behavior like drinking alcohol excessively and using drugs. Finally, you can also avoid situations that you know trigger mood swings or negative behavior.
Mark Moronell, MD

Using illicit drugs to self-medicate the bipolar disorder symptoms can worsen the course of bipolar. If you are using drugs to treat your bipolar depression or mania, here are some steps you can take:

• Talk to your doctor about your use of illicit drugs. Your doctor can help you get off of the drugs and start medications that are proven to modulate the moods of bipolar.    
  • Stop drinking and using the illicit drugs. This is a major concern with people who have bipolar disorder. While the alcohol or drugs may make you feel "well" temporarily, over the long term the drugs can worsen your mood disorder. Get help if you have trouble quitting on your own.
  • Stay away from unhealthy relationships. Surround yourself with people who want the best for you and who are positive influences in your life. Unhealthy relationships can encourage attitudes that can worsen your bipolar disorder.
  • Take care of yourself. Eat a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, and aim for good sleep every night. Getting enough sleep is vital to managing your mood disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

My Story: Rwenshaun and Bipolar Disorder
Despite being a successful athlete, getting good grades, and holding down a full-time job, Rweshaun recognized he needed help. Here, he shares his jou...
Why is bipolar education so important?
When you understand bipolar disorder, you can learn to recognize your own symptoms of various moods ...
How can I help my friend who may have bipolar disorder?
If you think a friend may have bipolar disorder, encourage him to see a doctor. Getting a diagnosis ...
Scott Stapp Receives a Special Thank-You