Are there alternative treatments for bipolar I disorder?

Though they are not to be used in place of doctor-recommended medication and therapy, several alternative therapies can be used as additional treatments for bipolar I disorder. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to be successful in improving depression, as has acupuncture - though both are lacking complete scientific evidence. The herb St. John's wort has also as improved some cases of depression, though it is not recommended because of its interactions with other medications and possible manic side effects. Yoga as a stress relief technique and form of exercise is a beneficial way live a healthy lifestyle with bipolar I disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder

What You Need to Know About Bipolar Symptoms
Bipolar disorder, often called manic depression, is a mental disorder marked by extreme shifts in mood and energy levels. These mood changes are somet...
How can I set goals with my partner with bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
In life you are taught to make personal, financial, and physical goals. What no one tells you is tha...
How should I deal with leading comments from my bipolar partner?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It's so easy to get tangled up in very serious leading comments. Your goal is to learn to recogn...
How Can I Minimize the Side Effects of Bipolar Medications?