What qualities do I need to help in the treatment of my bipolar partner?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
Your goal is to create a foundation for treating your partner's bipolar disorder slowly and calmly; one that focuses on prevention instead of crisis control. Remind yourself to focus on the solution, not the problem. Problems are immediate—solutions take time. Here are some of the qualities you will need while you are creating your holistic treatment plan:
  • An open mind and the willingness to try new ideas to treat an old problem.
  • Enough time to learn a new way to live with bipolar disorder.
  • The courage to grieve the loss of some of the hopes and dreams you had for your relationship, while simultaneously taking decisive action to improve the relationship.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

How should I take medication for bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Medication is essential to making you feel better. Because of bipolar disorder's shifting moods, mor...
What are possible side effects of vagus nerve stimulation (VNS)?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) side effects, which occur only during the treatment, have proven t...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?