What happens if my moods do not improve with bipolar medications?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If you are concerned that your medication is not improving your moods you should talk to your doctor. Sometimes it takes six to eight weeks for the medications to have full effect. However, it is also possible that you may not be taking enough of the medication or that you need a different medication. Your doctor will work with you to adjust the dosage and to find the most effective medication. In addition to your mood stabilizer, your doctor may need to add another medication, such as an antidepressant or antipsychotic drug, to help you feel your best. After these adjustments, if you are still concerned, getting a second opinion may help identify what needs to be done to make your treatment more effective.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

What laws and organizations can help me if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Most U.S. states have mental health parity, which means that people with mental illness have the rig...
How can a healthy lifestyle treat bipolar disorder?
A healthy lifestyle can stop cycles of behavior that worsen your bipolar disorder. If you drink ...
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?