What laws and organizations can help me if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Most U.S. states have mental health parity, which means that people with mental illness have the right to receive the same level of care as those with other illnesses. If your state doesn't have this, consider joining a grassroots advocacy organization such as the Bipolar and Depression Support Alliance (BDSA) or National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI). These organizations have support groups for people with bipolar disorder and their loved ones, and also advocate on behalf of people living with mental illnesses. Getting on their mailing lists will keep you informed and allow you to participate in political advocacy by telling your story and writing your elected officials to fight for policies that provide the care and support you need to get and stay well.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Can counseling help treat my bipolar during pregnancy?
For many pregnant women with bipolar disorder, psychotherapy offers a nondrug treatment that may...
Are there alternative treatments for bipolar disorder?
There's relatively little evidence for whether alternative treatments help people manage symptoms of...
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?