What can I ask the doctor about my loved one's bipolar disorder treatment?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If someone close to you has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and you are part of the support network, there are important questions you should ask the doctor about the planned treatment: What medications have been prescribed? What will the medications do to modulate the bipolar disorder mood swings? What is the medication schedule? What dosages are given of these medications? What side effects are associated with these medications? How long does it take to see the positive effects of the medication? If the current medication causes side effects or isn't effective, can you prescribe a different drug? What other treatment options are available for managing bipolar disorder? If there is an emergency, how can we reach you?

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Why are medications used to treat bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
There are three primary goals in using medication to treat bipolar disorder. These include stabilizi...
Why do people with bipolar disorder often need more than one medication?
Amanda C. Itzkoff, MDAmanda C. Itzkoff, MD
If you have bipolar disorder, you may need more than one medication to fully control and treat all y...
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?