What should I do if my bipolar partner cannot work on a treatment plan?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
Your bipolar partner may be too ill to work on a holistic treatment plan with you. The solution is to do what you can, make the changes you need to make, and go on from there. You may be amazed to discover that simply by making just a few changes in the way you relate to your partner regarding bipolar disorder, you can help your partner get better so that they can make some significant changes themselves. One option you have is to give this time, in the hope that gradual positive changes eventually will lead your partner to become more open to implementing further changes. There is a lot of work for you. Use the time to work on a journal, find supportive help, and make the decisions about what you need. When you have done this work, start to involve your partner slowly.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Are there drugs to treat bipolar disorder that do not cause weight gain?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
While any of the medications can cause weight gain, some are much less likely to do so. These includ...
How can I stick with my medications for bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
The key factors that contribute to your bipolar medication compliance are patience and hope that...
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?