How should I track the side effects of my bipolar medications?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Track your bipolar medications and their side effects in a trigger and mood tracker chart or in a journal. Remember to list whatever side effects you experience and put an x on the date you experience that symptom. For greater precision in your recording of side effects, rate the intensity of these effects on a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 meaning no experience of that side effect and 10 meaning an intolerable level. If weight gain is a side effect, track it by weighing yourself daily so that you know how much weight you're gaining and at what rate.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Why are medications used to treat bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
There are three primary goals in using medication to treat bipolar disorder. These include stabilizi...
What are common side effects of bipolar disorder medication?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Each medication or combination of medications for bipolar disorder has its pros and cons, upsides an...
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?