Q

Bipolar Disorder Treatment

How should I take medication for bipolar disorder?

• Medication is essential to making you feel better. Because of bipolar disorder's shifting moods, more than one medication is needed to help you stay well. And, as time passes, these medications may need to be adjusted, and some may need to be changed due to side effects. But do not stop taking medication without first talking to your doctor. Remember that every person responds differently to medications, and what works for others may not work for you. Track the medications you are taking in a diary, which will help determine if the medications are working for you.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • You should take them as directed by your doctor. Some medications are taken once a day, some up to three times a day, some with food and some on an empty stomach. Therefore it is important to ask the prescriber how they intend you to take it.

Answered by Thomas Jensen MD
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What should I include in my bipolar disorder treatment plan?