How can I stick with my medications for bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
The key factors that contribute to your bipolar medication compliance are patience and hope that the medications will work. If you have hope, you'll be motivated to stick with your medication despite side effects, and you also need patience to be willing to make adjustments until you find the medication that's right for you. Medications take time to work, and you may have to try several different drugs before you find one or more that work for you. To keep on the treatment path, stay hopeful that you'll find the right combination of medications that work for you. Use your time in psychotherapy or your support group to learn maintenance strategies and find support for compliance with your medication regimen.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Will medications for bipolar disorder change my personality?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
One of the many common concerns that you may have about taking psychiatric medications for bipol...
What should I include in my bipolar disorder treatment plan?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Just as a map guides lost travelers to geographic landmarks, a good bipolar disorder treatment plan,...
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?