How should I record the medications I am taking if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
The goal of this exercise is to educate you (and inform your mental healthcare provider) about all the medications you're taking, whether for bipolar disorder or other conditions. For each drug you're taking, you'll record some detailed information. You can use a table format or simply have a paragraph for each drug. Here's the information you'll record:

1. What's the chemical (generic) name of the medication?
2. What's the brand name (if applicable; that is, if it's not a generic drug) of the medication?
3. How much of the medication are you taking? (For example, the number of pills you take each time you take the medication and the amount of medication in each pill)
4. How often do you take the medication? (For example, twice a day or every four hours and so on)
5. What's the health problem for which this medication was prescribed?
6. How long you have been taking this medication?
7. What side effects do you think you may be experiencing as a result of taking this medication?

Bring your answers to your prescribing provider so that possible interactions can be avoided and prescribing can be based on as much information as possible. Be honest in reporting your compliance with medications, because if it's prescribed but you aren't taking it, this must be taken into account when new prescriptions are made or when your medical provider tries to understand the nature of your symptoms. If you've taken other drugs previously for the same condition, it would be useful to list the names of the drugs you took prior to the current one and why you stopped taking them. Finally, also answer these questions for any alternative medications or nutritional supplements you're taking. All this information helps develop the medication regimen that works best for you.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Can counseling help treat my bipolar during pregnancy?
For many pregnant women with bipolar disorder, psychotherapy offers a nondrug treatment that may...
When is hospitalization necessary for bipolar disorder?
Sometimes, hospitalization is necessary to gain control of the symptoms of bipolar disorder and keep...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?