How can I involve my partner in treatment for his bipolar disorder?

Ms. Julie A. Fast
Mental Health
Here are some tips on how to involve your partner in the treatment process for bipolar disorder:
  • Start the new plan yourself. As your partner sees you change and become more focused and stable, they will hopefully want the same for themselves.
  • Model your new behavior so your partner can follow you. Bipolar disorder takes a lot out of your partner. Sometimes it feels impossible for them to do anything that takes effort. They will appreciate the help.
  • Involve your family and friends and teach them the new techniques.
Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder: Understanding and Helping Your Partner (The New Harbinger Loving Someone Series)

Maintaining a relationship is hard enough without the added challenges of your partner’s bipolar disorder symptoms. Loving Someone with Bipolar Disorder offers information and step-by-step advice...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

What should I do if my spouse refuses treatment for bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
If your spouse refuses treatment for bipolar disorder, you must learn to protect yourself from abuse...
What is the best treatment option for bipolarism?
Joseph R. Calabrese, MDJoseph R. Calabrese, MD
The foundation for treatment of bipolar disorder is a mood stabilizer. Mood stabilizers are medicati...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?