How can a healthy lifestyle treat bipolar disorder?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
A healthy lifestyle can stop cycles of behavior that worsen your bipolar disorder. If you drink or use illicit drugs or drink alcohol, talk to your doctor about getting the help you need to stop. Eat a healthy diet and get plenty of sleep. Quality sleep is important with bipolar disorder and can help you manage your mood. If you cannot sleep, call your doctor and ask for a sleep aid. Your doctor can help you manage your moods so you do not fall into a deep depression or go too high with mania.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

What should I know about my health insurance if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
You'll need to know the scope of your insurance coverage so that you can take this into account ...
Are there effective treatments for bipolar disorder?
Russ Federman, PhDRuss Federman, PhD
Treatment effectiveness has everything to do with symptom acuity, treatment compliance and the prese...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?