How can I afford to treat my bipolar disorder if I don't have insurance?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
If you have no health coverage, research various options to see what you can afford in the short and long term for bipolar disorder treatment. For example, ask your provider if a sliding scale or monthly payment plan is offered. Call your public health department to ask for free or low-cost treatment, or ask your provider if he or she can refer you to inexpensive or free treatment programs. When considering treatment costs, include the price of medications, per-visit costs, and any other incidentals. Some pharmaceutical companies offer free or low-cost drug programs for which you may qualify. When assessing the cost, remind yourself of the social, family, career, and personal costs of not getting treated and compare that to the cost of treatment. You may save money by not going on irresponsible shopping sprees when manic, or earn more money because you'll take fewer sick days in the future.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

Can bipolar medications lead to metabolic syndrome?
Mood-stabilizing medications can smooth out the mood swings associated with bipolar disorder, bu...
Why should I get treatment for my bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Getting treatment for bipolar disorder is something you do for yourself. It's also something you...
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?