Can home remedies cure bipolar disorder?

Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry

There is no "cure" for bipolar disorder. While there are some natural supplements that might help to reduce the likelihood of episodes (for example, there has been some promising but still inconclusive research about Omega 3), in my experience people who are not on medications for bipolar disorder continue to experience bipolar episodes and symptoms.

While I don't believe that medication is the be-all and end-all for any illness, it is the cornerstone of treatment for bipolar disorder. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't also try other things - consult with a naturopath in conjunction with your medical professionals; try acupuncture to reduce symptoms; make lifestyle changes that will reduce the likelihood of future episodes; and, of course, try psychotherapy.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

What is the goal of psychoeducation in the treatment of bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
The goal of psychoeducation in the treatment of bipolar disorder is to educate people living wit...
What's the safest bipolar medication to take during pregnancy?
While most bipolar medications can increase the chance of birth defects in the fetus, lithium may ha...
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?
How Is Bipolar Treated?
How Is Bipolar Treated?