Can medications for bipolar disorder cause sleepiness?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Most bipolar medications can cause sedation and daytime fatigue. Often these side effects are seen to occur during the first few days or weeks after starting the medication. This side effect can be problematic, but can also be helpful, if the sedation occurs at night (and thus can help a person fall asleep). However, if the sedation lasts into the day, this may interfere with feeling alert (impacting one's ability to work or go to school). It is very rare that the sedation can interfere with the ability to drive safely.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Treatment

How does vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) work?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Surgery is required for vagus nerve stimulation. The surgeon implants a small pulse generator (l...
Why should I get treatment for my bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Getting treatment for bipolar disorder is something you do for yourself. It's also something you...
How Do I Know If I Need to Seek Treatment for Bipolar Disorder?
Can a Person with Bipolar Disorder Get "Well"?