What are hallucinations associated with bipolar mania or depression?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Hallucinations are a highly complex mental problem that may occur with severe bipolar depression or mania. With a hallucination, you may experience auditory, visual and tactile sensations that are not real. For example, you may feel a crawling sensation on the skin or movements inside of your body. You may hear voices even when no one is in the room. The voices may scream at you, command you to take an action, or ask you to harm yourself or others. You may also hear music, see lights or smell foul odors that are not really there.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Symptoms

What are some triggers of bipolar symptoms?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
A trigger is an environmental, biological, or situational factor that causes symptoms of bipolar...
What are the symptoms of mania in children and teens?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
The symptoms of mania in children and teenagers include an elevated or elated mood that lasts four t...
How can I tell if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Although everyone has shifts in mood (for example, anger, sadness, or happiness) related to his or h...
What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?