What are some environmental triggers of bipolar disorder symptoms?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Some triggers of bipolar disorder symptoms may be environmental or circumstantial. Here are some examples:

- High levels of stress, which can trigger either mania or depression.
- Excessive stimulation, which is more likely to trigger mania.
- Menstruation, which impacts each woman differently.
- Abnormal levels of thyroid hormones.
- Changes in seasons and their accompanying light fluctuations, with mania more likely in the summer and depression more likely in the winter.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder Symptoms

What are some triggers of bipolar symptoms?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
A trigger is an environmental, biological, or situational factor that causes symptoms of bipolar...
Should I talk to my doctor about my mixed bipolar disorder symptoms?
It is important for you to let your doctor know if you have been experiencing symptoms of mixed bipo...
Should I talk to my doctor about my bipolar disorder symptoms?
If you have experienced symptoms of bipolar disorder, it is important for you to speak with your doc...
What Are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?