Why should I track my sleep patterns if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
Shifts in sleep patterns may precede or accompany bipolar symptoms, and may indicate the onset of an episode. Tracking your sleep patterns can help your mental healthcare provider develop a treatment plan that addresses any sleep issues you have. You may also find that, if you sense an episode coming on, monitoring your sleep and taking the appropriate steps to address any insomnia or troubling sleep patterns can mediate or prevent a bipolar episode.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

What can I do if I am discriminated against because of my bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you feel that your employer is discriminating against you because of your bipolar disorder, first...
How can I keep track of moods that come with bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
A mood chart is a good way to help a person, a healthcare professional, and family members manage bi...
How should I tell my employer that I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Consider carefully whether to tell your coworkers or employer that you have bipolar disorder bec...
What support do I need if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Here are some of the types of support you might want to investigate if you have bipolar disorder...