Why should I exercise if I have bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
I have found that exercise makes me feel good mentally and physically. Exercise reduces stress by not only keeping your mood even and making you able to cope better with stress but is also an outlet for stress. It also releases feel good chemicals in the brain that may help reduce the likelihood of depression. Exercise, especially in the morning, also makes for better sleep at night. Also being in better condition allows the body and mind to better cope with the challenges of bipolar disorder. There are times when exercise while depressed helps reduce the symptoms of depression by not only getting you out the house but by releasing those wonderful serotonin and dopamine that helps reduce depression.
If you have bipolar disorder, exercising is good for both your physical and mental health; it releases the chemicals in the brain (serotonin and dopamine) that depressed people lack. Establishing a regular exercise routine will help maintain a healthy weight and reduce stress levels, important for someone with the disorder.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can I take care of my physical health if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
You must take care of your physical self, including getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep, as...
Why should I avoid fatigue if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
People with bipolar disorder need to decrease the likelihood of fatigue because it can trigger e...
What happens during angry outbursts by people with bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Inappropriate and intense anger is often seen as a personality problem instead of as a symptom o...
How much exercise is good for someone who has bipolar disorder?
From what is known, exercise has positive effects for someone who is bipolar. The endorphins during ...