Why should I exercise if I have bipolar disorder?

If you have bipolar disorder, exercising is good for both your physical and mental health; it releases the chemicals in the brain (serotonin and dopamine) that depressed people lack. Establishing a regular exercise routine will help maintain a healthy weight and reduce stress levels, important for someone with the disorder.
Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
I have found that exercise makes me feel good mentally and physically. Exercise reduces stress by not only keeping your mood even and making you able to cope better with stress but is also an outlet for stress. It also releases feel good chemicals in the brain that may help reduce the likelihood of depression. Exercise, especially in the morning, also makes for better sleep at night. Also being in better condition allows the body and mind to better cope with the challenges of bipolar disorder. There are times when exercise while depressed helps reduce the symptoms of depression by not only getting you out the house but by releasing those wonderful serotonin and dopamine that helps reduce depression.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Is exercise important for controlling bipolar disorder?
Exercise can be good for the brain and body. Any type of moderate exercise will release endorphins, ...
Why should I build healthy relationships if I have bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Building and maintaining supportive relationships is a critical part to our overall wellbeing. C...
How can bipolar disorder affect my relationship with my partner?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If it's hard to live with bipolar disorder, it's even more difficult for someone else to live wi...
What can I do if I am discriminated against because of my bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you feel that your employer is discriminating against you because of your bipolar disorder, first...