Why should I build healthy relationships if I have bipolar disorder?

Building and maintaining supportive relationships is a critical part to our overall wellbeing. Connecting and relating to others brings a sense of purpose, meaning, and belonging. Isolation is often a symptom of mental health disorders, particularly depression. With bipolar disorder, it is not unusual for one to isolate and withdraw when depressed. As such, it is vital to work to maintain our relationships throughout our ups and downs to prevent complete detachment in our most critical times of need.

When we have strong and healthy relationships with friends, family members, and significant others, we are given an opportunity to learn and grow in a supportive companionship. These relations allow us an outlet to share our fears and aspirations, to enjoy positive and uplifting activities, and to be comforted and consoled when we are struggling. A healthy relationship allows us the opportunity to call on someone for support and assistance when we need it most. The love and support fostered through healthy relationships can in itself be a tool for recovery from mental health symptoms. It is natural and healthy to turn to others as a means to cope.

Moreover, social interaction can help improve our overall mood and outlook. Engaging in recreational activities or social conversation with others can contribute positive emotions and fend off negative ones. Positive relationships bring us enjoyment in life, and life satisfaction can help ease symptoms of mental health disorders, including bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

What are the benefits of joining a peer support group for bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Peer support groups, or group meetings of others with Bipolar Disorder, can help in treatment. These...
How should I ask for help if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you have bipolar disorder, here are some tips on asking for help: 1. When considering asking s...
How does bipolar disorder affect sleep?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Regular sleep keeps the body running smoothly, and yet many people with bipolar disorder don't follo...
How can I communicate better with my partner if I have bipolar disorder?
Jeffrey Gardere, PhDJeffrey Gardere, PhD
If you have bipolar disorder, the best way to communicate with your partner is to make sure they kno...