Q

Living With Bipolar Disorder

What are strategies that may prevent future bipolar episodes?

• The best strategy for the complete prevention of future bipolar episodes is to go after minor breakthrough symptoms. Minor little breakthrough symptoms are the best predictors of relapse. You should have little or no tolerance for breakthrough symptoms. Normally this will require 1-2 mood stabilizers for the biological intervention and then counseling or psychotherapy to learn how to recognize and manage early signs and symptoms.
    1 person found this helpful.
  • A , Family Medicine, answered
    Preventing future mood episodes depends on a combination of medical treatments and lifestyle adjustments. Some ways to avoid mood swings are: taking your prescribed medications daily, even if you feel well; getting involved social and community activities and support groups; leaning on your family for support on those days when you do not feel up to par or you feel stressed out; using your communication and problem-solving skills to find answers to your mood swings; consulting with your doctor to learn all you can about bipolar disorder; and engaging in counseling and psychotherapy to learn appropriate coping skills.
    2 people found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
Does my bipolar disorder affect my children?