What are strategies that may prevent future bipolar episodes?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Preventing future mood episodes depends on a combination of medical treatments and lifestyle adjustments. Some ways to avoid mood swings are: taking your prescribed medications daily, even if you feel well; getting involved social and community activities and support groups; leaning on your family for support on those days when you do not feel up to par or you feel stressed out; using your communication and problem-solving skills to find answers to your mood swings; consulting with your doctor to learn all you can about bipolar disorder; and engaging in counseling and psychotherapy to learn appropriate coping skills.
The best strategy for the complete prevention of future bipolar episodes is to go after minor breakthrough symptoms. Minor little breakthrough symptoms are the best predictors of relapse. You should have little or no tolerance for breakthrough symptoms. Normally this will require 1-2 mood stabilizers for the biological intervention and then counseling or psychotherapy to learn how to recognize and manage early signs and symptoms.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

What support do I need if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Here are some of the types of support you might want to investigate if you have bipolar disorder...
How can I manage urges if I have bipolar disorder?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Urges can occur because of bipolar disorder. For example, you may experience urges related to de...
How should I rate my mood if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you have bipolar disorder, rate your mood in a trigger and mood tracker chart or in a journal...
Can I travel or go on vacation if I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Or course you can travel and take vacations! But it often takes a lot of planning in order to stay s...