What can people with bipolar disorder do to stay well?

According to research, bipolar patients who experience the most positive change once treated take the following steps:

1. They take a proactive approach to their healthcare, researching their issues, keeping notes and articles together in a notebook or a laptop, writing down their questions and feelings. They chronicle their treatment experience, documenting their reactions to medications, the cycles of their moods and possible triggers for high or low periods. They note each medication, the dosage and when they take it. By making this step, they become the expert in their own care, partnering with their doctor.

2. They've educated themselves not only on their particular mood disorders, but on the variety of medications used to treat them, and the other therapies and lifestyle approaches they need to make their treatment most effective.

3. They utilize the several treatment approaches and take lifestyle changes seriously. They've realized that not everything is solved with a pill. Medication can be more effective when talk therapy helps individuals relax and acquire coping skills that lower the cortisol levels (stress hormones) in their brains. Medication is more effective when, through talk therapy, individual derive a sense of support and relief after discussing problematic past events or even current struggles in their lives. Talk therapy can be more effective when medication supports the mood enough to help the patient discuss issues clearly. Talk therapy can be more effective when high moods are moderated sufficiently enough for the individual to keep appointments and discuss issues in a reasonable way. Support groups help individuals encourage newcomers to stay on their medication and keep their therapy appointments. They lift moods and help individuals feel less alone. Successful Bipolar Therapy patients work three approaches to support and moderate their moods.

4. They take other medical issues seriously. A body in optimal shape responds to both medication and talk therapy most effectively. A patient who has educated him or herself knows that many physical issues and changes can affect brain chemistry. Menopause, aging, sleep disorders and the use of medications for other medical issues can all interfere with medications prescribed to treat mood disorders. Those who take their recovery seriously examine their body and medical issues thoroughly.

5. They refrain from using alcohol or narcotics to treat their symptoms.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can I improve my social life if I have bipolar disorder?
Ellen FrudakisEllen Frudakis
Here are some ways to improve your social life if you have bipolar disorder: Parks and Recreatio...
Is exercise good for someone who is bipolar?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Exercise has many benefits for everyone, especially for people living with mood disorders. Exercise ...
Can I travel or go on vacation if I have bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Or course you can travel and take vacations! But it often takes a lot of planning in order to stay s...
How should I tell my partner that I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Telling your romantic partner that you have bipolar disorder is a particular challenge potential...