What is a mood chart for bipolar disorder?

A mood chart is a good way to help you, your doctor, and your family to manage your bipolar disorder. A mood chart is a diary in which you keep track of your daily feelings, activities, sleep pattern, medication and side-effects, and important life events. This chart will help you to better see changes in sleep and mood. More importantly, you will be able to see a pattern of sleep and mood and determine what triggers your episodes of mania or depression (e.g. lack of sleep). At the first sign of these triggers, be vigilant in caring for yourself. Keeping track of medicines, moods, sleep, and feelings over time will help to better manage symptoms and prevent relapses.
Sheri Van Dijk
Psychiatry
A life chart (mood chart) helps you to take a more in-depth historical look at how you have experienced your bipolar disorder since its onset, as well as helping you to keep track of current episodes as they happen.

Life charting can be incredibly useful to help detect patterns in your episodes (for example, some people notice they tend to experience manic or depressive episodes at certain times of the year); to connect the episodes to triggers (for example, drug use, or stressful life events such as relationship difficulties); and to help you and your care providers understand which medications and other treatments have been effective in helping to control your symptoms and prevent further episodes from occurring.
The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bipolar Disorder: Using DBT to Regain Control of Your Emotions and Your Life (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook)

Even if you've just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, it's likely that you've been living with it for a long time. You've probably already developed your own ways of coping with recurring...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can bipolar disorder affect my relationship with my partner?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If it's hard to live with bipolar disorder, it's even more difficult for someone else to live wi...
How can bipolar disorder affect me physically and mentally?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most people diagnosed with bipolar disorder have already been living and coping with the symptoms lo...
How can I manage urges if I have bipolar disorder?
Sheri Van DijkSheri Van Dijk
Urges can occur because of bipolar disorder. For example, you may experience urges related to de...
How can I help control my bipolar symptoms?
The most important part of your treatment is you. You can help yourself and control your symptoms in...