What can I do if I am discriminated against because of my bipolar disorder?

Ruth White, MPH
Social Work
If you feel that your employer is discriminating against you because of your bipolar disorder, first go to your human resources department to file a formal complaint and go through its process. If you aren't satisfied with this process, seek redress through the local office of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission by submitting an intake questionnaire by mail or in person. The intake questionnaire is available online and through your local office. If there's no office near you, contact the nearest office by phone to receive a form, and then submit it by mail. At any point in this process, ask questions when you don't understand something, and if you think you need further assistance, seek legal counsel.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Why should I build healthy relationships if I have bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Building and maintaining supportive relationships is a critical part to our overall wellbeing. C...
How can I create a chart to track my bipolar moods?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you have bipolar disorder, make your chart to track your triggers and moods. Use graph paper,...
What online resources can help me if I have bipolar disorder?
Ellen FrudakisEllen Frudakis
For some people with bipolar disorder, one of the easiest and least intimidating ways to put themsel...
How can healthcare providers help with bipolar disorder support?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you have bipolar disorder, your medical and mental health providers are an important part of ...