How should I tell my friends that I have bipolar disorder?

John Preston, PsyD
Telling friends that you have bipolar disorder may be more difficult than telling family members, depending on the length and nature of the friendship. Some of your friends may have already experienced your mania or depression, which may help you explain to them what bipolar disorder is and how it affects your life. If you have a group of friends with whom you spend a lot of time, you might have them over for dinner and tell them all at once. If you have individual friends who don't know each other, you'll need to tell them one at a time. Taking a walk or meeting in a park or a private location is a good setting for this important conversation.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

What are some reasons I might feel guilt when I have a bipolar partner?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Naturally, there is a lot of guilt when you feel all the emotions that having a bipolar partner brin...
Why should I limit my role as caretaker of a partner with bipolar disorder?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
If your partner has bipolar disorder, the problem with playing the caretaker for too long is that yo...
How can I set life goals if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Identifying life goals and looking toward the future can assist in the process of recovery for someo...
How should I tell others about my bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Once you've decided whom to tell about your bipolar disorder, here are some tips on how to appro...