How should I exercise if I have manic symptoms?

John Preston, PsyD
Mania or hypomania can make you feel really energized even if you're irritable, so you'll want activities that will burn off some of that energy and reduce any edginess you feel as a result of your manic symptoms. Now's the time to burn some calories. Make sure to eat if you tend to lose your appetite when having manic symptoms. It may be a good idea to avoid making any decisions about your exercise program when you're experiencing manic or hypomanic symptoms because of the risk of making decisions about purchasing new equipment, clothing, or a gym membership that you may not use. You could let your exercise buddy know about your symptoms and have him or her keep you in check regarding buying equipment and so on.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How should I track major life events if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you have bipolar disorder, track major life events in a trigger and mood tracker chart or in ...
How can I educate my partner about my bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
As an individual diagnosed with a mental health disorder, it is important that you receive support a...
What lifestyle changes help with bipolar disorder?
Muffy WalkerMuffy Walker
There are several modalities that you can incorporate into your daily lifestyle to help with your bi...
Why is social interaction difficult for people with bipolar disorder?
Ellen FrudakisEllen Frudakis
Despite how simple it may seem to some, finding a way to create meaningful connections can be diffic...