How should I exercise if I have manic symptoms?

John Preston, PsyD
Mania or hypomania can make you feel really energized even if you're irritable, so you'll want activities that will burn off some of that energy and reduce any edginess you feel as a result of your manic symptoms. Now's the time to burn some calories. Make sure to eat if you tend to lose your appetite when having manic symptoms. It may be a good idea to avoid making any decisions about your exercise program when you're experiencing manic or hypomanic symptoms because of the risk of making decisions about purchasing new equipment, clothing, or a gym membership that you may not use. You could let your exercise buddy know about your symptoms and have him or her keep you in check regarding buying equipment and so on.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can I take care of my physical health if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
You must take care of your physical self, including getting proper nutrition, exercise and sleep, as...
Why should I avoid fatigue if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
People with bipolar disorder need to decrease the likelihood of fatigue because it can trigger e...
How should I tell others about my bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Once you've decided whom to tell about your bipolar disorder, here are some tips on how to appro...
If I have bipolar disorder, what is my risk of becoming suicidal?
It is not uncommon for people with Bipolar Disorder to become suicidal. People with Bipolar Disorder...