How can healthcare providers help with bipolar disorder support?

John Preston, PsyD
If you have bipolar disorder, your medical and mental health providers are an important part of your support network. They can work with you to develop your treatment plan, and you can use them as a resource in helping you build your support system. If you're in counseling, you can use your sessions to develop strategies for disclosing your mental illness. You can practice what you plan to say during your sessions and possibly even invite loved ones, such as your partner or children, to a session so you can disclose your disorder with your therapist's support. This would allow your loved ones an opportunity to ask your provider questions about the disorder and learn how to become an integral part of your support system.

Your healthcare provider can also help you decide if you need a medical advance directive in case you need to be hospitalized against your will.

Including your support network in your treatment plan is something to discuss with your healthcare provider. He or she can help you determine who'd be the best person to accompany you to therapy visits, medical appointments, or support groups and whom to ask for various types of support.
Bipolar 101: A Practical Guide to Identifying Triggers, Managing Medications, Coping with Symptoms, and More

After receiving a bipolar diagnosis, you need clear answers. Bipolar 101 is a straightforward guide to understanding bipolar disorder. It includes all the information you need to control your...

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How can bipolar disorder affect my relationship with my partner?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If it's hard to live with bipolar disorder, it's even more difficult for someone else to live wi...
Can my partner's bipolar disorder triggers change?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Bipolar disorder triggers can change. On some days, a person won't be able to handle any conflict, w...
What are some reasons I might feel guilt when I have a bipolar partner?
Ms. Julie A. FastMs. Julie A. Fast
Naturally, there is a lot of guilt when you feel all the emotions that having a bipolar partner brin...
What happens during angry outbursts by people with bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Inappropriate and intense anger is often seen as a personality problem instead of as a symptom o...