How much exercise is good for someone who has bipolar disorder?

From what is known, exercise has positive effects for someone who is bipolar. The endorphins during exercise could have a calming effect on the manic side of a bipolar episode. Exercise improves mood and is most effective when performed regularly. People who are mild to moderately depressed experience the greatest reduction of symptoms with exercise. Regular exercise has been found to be comparable in effectiveness to medication and therapy for mild to moderate depression and exercise is often used in conjunction with these treatments.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
Ask your doctor how much you should exercise if you have bipolar disorder. If you have other pre-existing conditions, the doctor may want to help you tailor your routine so it provides benefits without risks. However, most people with bipolar disorder can, and should, get regular physical activity. A goal of 30 minutes of exercise on most days is reasonable. 

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

Why should I build healthy relationships if I have bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Building and maintaining supportive relationships is a critical part to our overall wellbeing. C...
Should I drink less alcohol if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Alcohol can interfere with your sleep and your mood. Minimizing your alcohol intake will reduce ...
Why should I avoid alcohol and drugs if I have a bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Alcohol or substance abuse complicates diagnosis and treatment, and therefore should be addressed if...
How should I track major life events if I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you have bipolar disorder, track major life events in a trigger and mood tracker chart or in ...