How can I educate my partner about my bipolar disorder?

As an individual diagnosed with a mental health disorder, it is important that you receive support and advocacy from those closest to you, especially your romantic partner. Explain to your partner the nature of your bipolar disorder and what it entails for you personally. Educate your partner on the importance of following a medication regimen and seeing a mental health professional on a regular basis so that they can support you in following through with these tasks. You might want to discuss your personal struggles, such as what a manic or depressive episode looks like for you, so that they can know what to expect and how to help during these times. Based on your comfort level with disclosure, it might be helpful to break up this discussion into several smaller conversations. Utilize your therapist or counselor to assist you in the process by discussing your plans beforehand and debriefing the experience afterwards.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How do I keep a medication log if I have bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Using a page in a binder, track your medications for a minimum of one month before visiting a pr...
What happens during angry outbursts by people with bipolar disorder?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Inappropriate and intense anger is often seen as a personality problem instead of as a symptom o...
Why should I exercise if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
If you have bipolar disorder, exercising is good for both your physical and mental health; it releas...
How can I avoid tremors while taking medication for bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
Tremors are often caused by the same bipolar medications that cause dry mouth, so the solution t...