How does bipolar disorder affect a person's mood?

Bipolar disorder causes dramatic mood swings—from overly "high" and/or irritable to sad and hopeless, and then back again, often with periods of normal mood in between. Severe changes in energy and behavior go along with these changes in mood. The periods of highs and lows are called episodes of mania and depression.

Continue Learning about Living With Bipolar Disorder

How should I tell people at work that I have bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you choose to disclose your bipolar disorder at work, you may find it helpful to write a script s...
What can I do if I am discriminated against because of my bipolar disorder?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If you feel that your employer is discriminating against you because of your bipolar disorder, first...
How can bipolar disorder affect my relationship with my partner?
Ruth White, MPHRuth White, MPH
If it's hard to live with bipolar disorder, it's even more difficult for someone else to live wi...
What are the benefits of joining a peer support group for bipolar disorder?
Joseph R. Calabrese, MDJoseph R. Calabrese, MD
Peer support groups are very helpful because they give you the opportunity to learn about the sympto...