Why should I be understanding of a bipolar child's behavior?

If we can understand that the child or adolescent whose behaviors are the result of, or at least influenced by an illness affecting his or her brain, through no fault of his or her own, it can help parents, siblings, teachers, friends and clinicians maintain a posture of empathy and compassion, while minimizing the tendencies toward frustration, anger and rejection. These negative emotions may ultimately become a part of the environmental stresses negatively impacting a child or adolescent with bipolar disorder, thereby possibly contributing to a less positive outcome for them and the family. In order to successfully maintain such posture, much patience and self-control is required, highlighting the need for self care and supportive resources. It is important to understand that reaching such a level of equanimity may not always be possible to achieve and maintain, but it is helpful to recognize this as an idealistic goal to strive toward while parenting and interacting with children and adolescents with bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

Can a child or teen with bipolar disorder also have ADHD?
Keith StarKeith Star
Children with bipolar disorder may display an array of symptoms. They may also have Attention Defici...
How do I choose a mental health expert for my bipolar child?
Joseph R. Calabrese, MDJoseph R. Calabrese, MD
The best mental health experts for bipolar disorder are those that specifically specialize in the il...
How is bipolar disorder diagnosed in children and teens?
An experienced doctor will carefully examine your child. There are no blood tests or brain scans tha...
What are signs of bipolar disorder in children?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Signs of possible bipolar disorder in children include: 1. Poor sleep.2. Marked depression. In ch...