Why should I be understanding of a bipolar child's behavior?

If we can understand that the child or adolescent whose behaviors are the result of, or at least influenced by an illness affecting his or her brain, through no fault of his or her own, it can help parents, siblings, teachers, friends and clinicians maintain a posture of empathy and compassion, while minimizing the tendencies toward frustration, anger and rejection. These negative emotions may ultimately become a part of the environmental stresses negatively impacting a child or adolescent with bipolar disorder, thereby possibly contributing to a less positive outcome for them and the family. In order to successfully maintain such posture, much patience and self-control is required, highlighting the need for self care and supportive resources. It is important to understand that reaching such a level of equanimity may not always be possible to achieve and maintain, but it is helpful to recognize this as an idealistic goal to strive toward while parenting and interacting with children and adolescents with bipolar disorder.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

How does keeping a mood chart help a child with bipolar disorder?
By keeping a daily journal or chart of your child's mood swings, you can help the bipolar disord...
How can I help my child or teen with bipolar disorder?
Keith StarKeith Star
Learn all you can about this illness by reading books, and talking to your doctor. Get support from ...
Do hyperactive children have bipolar disorder?
An overactive or even hyperactive behavior in a child is not indicative of bipolar disorder. Sym...
Can children and adolescents develop bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Both children and adolescents can develop bipolar disorder. It is more likely to affect the children...