What are the types of bipolar disorder in children and teens?

Children and adolescents can have various types of bipolar disorder, and symptoms can occur along a broad spectrum. In children and adolescents, diagnoses along the spectrum include:
  • Bipolar I: The most severe form of the disorder, characterised primarily by a manic state or mixed episode state.
  • Bipolar II: Symptoms alternate between depressive and hypomanic states.
  • Cyclothymia: Symptoms include depression and hypomania, but are less intense.
  • Bipolar Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified (NOS): The most common diagnosis for children and adolescents on the bipolar spectrum. Children are often diagnosed with BP-NOS if they are one symptom short of the other diagnoses, the duration of episodes is insufficient, or the episodes are not clearly defined.

Continue Learning about Bipolar Disorder In Children & Teens

What medications might help my teen with bipolar disorder?
International Bipolar FoundationInternational Bipolar Foundation
Once your teen receives a diagnosis, your doctor may suggest some medications. Lithium, known as a "...
How is bipolar disorder diagnosed in children?
Bipolar disorder can be diagnosed in young children, but it is about as difficult as it is to get a ...
Can my children get bipolar hypomania from me?
Your children can get bipolar disorder from you, but hypomania is a symptom that cannot be passed ...
Why can it be difficult to diagnose bipolar disorder in children and teens?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Diagnosing bipolar disorder in children and adolescents is difficult because children are naturally ...